History

1

The University was formed from branches of Ural higher educational institutions which existed in Magnitogorsk in 1932. However, the official date of birth is deemed to be 1934, when under the Resolution of the Council of People’s Commissars of the 22nd of March the Magnitogorsk Institute of Mining and Metallurgy opened its doors to train engineers for the Magnitogorsk Iron and Steel Works (MMK) and, later on, for the South Ural region. In 1937 MMK accepted first, long-awaited engineers: 8 mining engineers, 5 steelmakers and 7 rolling mill engineers.

2 In 1951 under the resolution of the Council of Ministers of the USSR the Magnitogorsk Institute of Mining and Metallurgy was named after Grigory Nosov, who was a legendary director of MMK. His technical talent and courage helped to solve difficult technical issues. In 1940 he was appointed the Director of MMK. He played a critical role in providing steel products during World War II. It was Magnitogorsk metallurgists who made armour steel in existing open-hearth furnaces applying a new secret technology in July of 1941. It was risky as there were no special furnaces for making such steel grades. In summer of 1941 MMK used a conventional blooming mill to roll armour steel as there was no time to wait for a special mill evacuated from Ukraine to arrive and be installed in Magnitogorsk. Again, it was a great risk as not only the mill and the position of the director, but also Nosov’s life of were laid down at stake; however, Grigory Nosov supported and took the initiative of the chief mechanical engineer of MMK. In October of 1941 steel for military applications flowed in a steady stream. It is necessary to avoid thinking that he was reckless – all decisions of “the military director” were supported with accurate engineering analyses.

In 1955 the University opened the part-time studies department. The number of students increased to 2260.

In December of 1956 the institute published the first issue of its newspaper.

In the mid 50-ies the institute got a picturesque area near LakeBannoe to build the Youth training and wellness centre. For some years the centre consisted of many tents. Now it is a comfortable place for students, teachers and their families to have a rest.

In 1962 the institute moved to a new building. Moreover, it got laboratories, dormitories for students and two multi-storey buildings for teachers.

In 1987 the institute organized studies of international students from Jordan, Mongolia, Guinea, India, Nigeria, Laos, Algeria, Afghanistan, Burundi, and Central Africa. Now NMSTU has effective agreements on international cooperation in the fields of education and science with over 40 foreign universities, funds and organizations from over 15 countries. Over 200 students from CIS countries, Georgia, Abkhazia, and South Ossetia study at the University.

In 1994 the institute was renamed into the Nosov Magnitogorsk State Academy of Mining and Metallurgy due to a significant increase in academic and research performance. At present NMSTU keeps developing its innovative activity and expands innovative infrastructure.

In 1998 the academy was renamed into the NosovMagnitogorskStateTechnicalUniversity and became the first university in Magnitogorsk.

Thus, the institute which was established as a specialized center for training of engineers for mining and metallurgical industries step-by-step grew into a multi-profile center for training of specialists required in a majority of areas of the city, region, and this country at large.

Useful Links

btn apply now

movie

movie

movie

Our consortia

enmda

mmateng

ecobru

rkc